Author Topic: Apathy's doin' somethin' (...I think...)  (Read 10921 times)

Offline Songboy3

• Working on my ego
    • View Profile
    • http://www.BabySistaMuzik.com
Apathy's doin' somethin' (...I think...)
« on: October 28, 2005, 02:33:24 PM »
http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/7752/2

Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park) has a new project called Fort Minor & he's being interviewed by SOHH....

<SOHH.com: And you also got a mixtape, We Minor, We Major, dropping too, right?

<MS: Yes, sir. The mixtape is the shit, man. I can't even tell you. The only thing better than the mixtape is the real album. This thing is a monster. Green Lantern and I did it. There is so much exclusive shit on there, I kinda felt bad. I almost felt like I shouldn't even put it out. But I'm excited about it and we were already committed to doing this 100% or don't do it at all. We got Ghostface on there. Fiasco, Apathy, Self-Titled, S.O.B., Sixx John... Juelz Santana is on that shit, so you gotta pick it up. And the thing is this is gonna be out this week, so you gotta go out and find it. You can find it on the Internet. Go find it at the record store. It's for promotional use only, so it will be all over the place.

Is this YOUR Apathy?

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • LIQUID CARBON: The Orakle's Realm
Re: Apathy's doin' somethin' (...I think...)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:29:37 AM »
yup..thats him...another mixtape...and this time its not even his.
lmao..NOW he's all on mike's balls...if he only knows what i know..hhahahahahahaha
"I don't do requests"

Offline Songboy3

• Working on my ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 05:10:17 PM »
Damn, T - I'm almost scared to ask what you know.  But not THAT scared - what gives?!?

BTW, welcome back!!!

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 04:37:54 PM »
Damn, T - I'm almost scared to ask what you know.  But not THAT scared - what gives?!?

BTW, welcome back!!!

Normally I wouldn't bother to mention...but WTF.....

Ap and I were talkin about Linkin Park one night. (Im a fan)
And he tells me how he thinks Mike Shanoda sux as an MC and how Ap hates Mike's rapstyle and what not.
So I tried to tell him, Mike's style fits what Linkin Park is doing.
It all works within its context. Ap was like..."whatever".

A couple of months later, Mike did an interview, it might have been MTV, I don't remember, but he gave Ap some shine. Something like..."Apathy is someone to look out for in the future". Then ALL OF A SUDDEN. Ap is all on Mike's balls and wants Mike to do some tracks for him.
When I reminded Ap about the conversation we had, Ap was like.."Naw man. I never said that, I think he's dope" blah blah.

Ap is quick to talk shit about people and then flip when it suits his purpose.
I can't fuck around like that..I don't have to explain that shit to you...you know how I am..lol.

This the kinda shit I had to deal with daily messing with Ap and his selective fucking memory.
He took the cake when he accused me and Ben of "strong arming" him into a contract.
Of course he made that comment over the phone..YOU KNOW he would never say that shit to my face.
That kid just has too much negative karma for me.
I wish him luck, but I can't fuck with him.

People tend to forget who looked out for them from the jump.
Who gave them a place to sleep.
Who's food they ate.
Who's electricity they were burning when they were learning how to use a mic.

SUPERSTAR!!!!!!!

I HOPE THE KID MAKES MILLIONS!
maybe I'll get back what he owes me. :mrgreen:
"I don't do requests"

Offline Songboy3

• Working on my ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:01:32 PM »
WOW.

Well, you know we've had many conversations about the ungratefulness of a lot of the folks with whom you've worked.  I never understood it.  Never understood how you tolerated it.  You know I have the utmost respect for you & I consider you one of, if not, my mentor or guru or whatever you care to label it.  But you know I think you're too f*ckin' nice to a majority of these bums!  LOLOL!!!  :-D  Ap is just another one. 

You see the talent & you want to help nuture it & bring it into fruition.  & These dumbasses don't remember when.....

*sigh*

Damn I miss hangin' out with you at the studio.  I know I would have a lot more stuff done with you in the picture & contrary to these other boneheads, I do NOT have a selective memory.  & If I do (no one's perfect!), I least I'm mature enough to own up to my mistakes.

Right now, it's a little crazy in my personal life, but I'm affiliated with a few projects.  & If they bear fruit like I think, you're gonna be seeing a lot more of me than you care to!  So be warned!!!! LOLOLOLOL
 8-)

BTW, are you working on ANY music projects?!?

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »
Much appreciated, you know how we do :mrgreen:

I tell you, the main thing I miss about NY, is the vibe
from the "blue room". All that constant creativity.
I LOVED THAT SHIT. That's prolly why I put up with the
BS. I don't dwell on the knuckle heads much.
I know my intentions are good when I try to deal
with cats. It's always been about the creative process.
The coming together of like minds trying to produce positive vibes.
At least that's what it was (and still is) all about, for me.

I guess you gotta weed throught the shitheads to finds the "true heads" :-D
Thanx for bein one of the true heads...hahahaha
"I don't do requests"

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:26:13 PM »
Looks Like Ap is going on tour with Fort Minor.
I think he joins the tour this month. Jan 28th at the Nokia inTimes Square.

GOOD LUCK AP! make some money...
so you can pay me mine...lmao!

I have a feelin that tour is gonna be more for Rock Heads than hip hoppers.
Curious to see what that crowd is gonna look like.
"I don't do requests"

Offline Hero1

• hierolla
  • Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:38:02 AM »
thats fucked up man.. the people these artists step on to get to the top..are the same people they are gonna run into on the way back down..  you gonna wait til he makes his first million before u hit him with the lawsuit  :panic:
greedy girls.. you better watch out

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »
thats fucked up man.. the people these artists step on to get to the top..are the same people they are gonna run into on the way back down..  you gonna wait til he makes his first million before u hit him with the lawsuit  :panic:

Quite honestly, I'd be surprised if Apathy makes millions.
I could actually monkey wrench his whole game right now if I wanted to.
He's still under contract to me.
So what ever deals he's made with Fort Minor, BabyGrande, or even his touring shedule are illigitimate.
Legally, all his deals are supposed to go through me.
So I could pump the brakes on all his shit.
But I don't feel like putting myself in that negative enviornment at this point.
I've been down that road before, not in the mood to do it again.

Apathy knows what he's supposed to do to make things right with me.
If he doesn't, karma will be his teacher.
"I don't do requests"

Offline Hero1

• hierolla
  • Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 06:34:25 PM »
Okay.. How old is he by the way?

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 08:17:55 PM »
Apathy is about 24 now.
I've been dealing with him since he was about 15-16.
"I don't do requests"

Offline Songboy3

• Working on my ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 11:33:38 AM »
24, huh?  so young and such an asshole!.....oh well....

Apathy is about 24 now.
I've been dealing with him since he was about 15-16.

Offline Hero1

• hierolla
  • Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 05:03:15 AM »
had to laugh at this..from another forum....

yo Apathy....where the fuck is your album? for real??

heres the deal......."its the bootleg muthafuckers" had me fiending and made apathy one of my favorite mcs if not favorite..... finally he drops the "wheres your album?" mixtape which only had me stinging more for his album.... after at least another year and a half of waiting he drops "Eastern Philosophy". So im expecting this to be "the album" everyones been talking about.. all the talk of him getting signed to a major and finally getting signed to Atlantic and how dope his major lable release is gonna be and im still fucking waiting for it!! "Eastern Philosophy" is a dope album but i cant say i wasnt dissapointed with it... after examining the cover and inserts one day it occurs to me that this came out on Babygrande and has nothing to do with Atlantic what so ever.. this is NOT HIS ALBUM! its an album.. its dope.. but not THE album.. he has not recorded ONE song with Atlantic coz apparantley they want him to do "jiggy" shit and hes not down with it so he dropped that "Fuck you" song to them.. He is still signed to them but has yet to release anything via them.. is this good or bad? will he drop his major release soon or another 2 years wait?? sorry about the rant.. BUT WHERES YOUR FUCKING ALBUM AP?????????????

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »
Im sure he's not the only person complaining about this album.
For the record, Atlantic doesn't want "jiggy" shit.
Atlantic wants hot shit.
Ap was submitting two verse songs with weak ass hooks.
There wasn't anything worth putting out.
I think that BabyGrande album is gonna be the nail in the coffin.
Atlantic won't give him anymore money.
The money seemed to have stopped since Ap
stopped doing the things I would ask him to do.

All he needs is one seriously banging single
and a couple of hot joints and he'd be out.
The young man just keeps falling short.

Ap isnt mature enough to make his major label opportunity payoff.
At least not from what I've witnessed.

lmao..what forum was that in?
"I don't do requests"

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jamonproductions.com
Apathy Interview
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 01:58:58 AM »
Hey Apathy, it's Joel from Art of Rhyme.com...

Apathy: Oh, Joel man. I just ignored your call like 10 times because it says TV Guide. I'm like, Fuck that!

I figured while we were talking I could figure if you cancelled your subscription or not. That's the real deal job, you know.

A: No doubt. It's good to talk to you man. I feel like I've known you forever.

You've got all kinds of stuff going on, huh?

A: Hell yeah. I'm doing it all man.

It's good to hear a real official release from you. Happy days, you know?

A: You're telling me man. It's been a labor of love and it's been crazy.

Is that tremendous weight off of your shoulders?

A: Oh hell yeah. You know there's still more to do, but to get this album to the point I wanted it is really dope. It's kind of crazy too because I built this album up so much in my head -- it's like a parent with a kid. I have such high expectations for it. It got leaked a little bit early and I expected a certain amount of kids to really be sweating it. A lot of kids loved it. Mad people gave me love, and then I saw a little hate. That never affected me before, but now that I've put out this album I'm like "damn." It's a crazy thing. I've never ever cared about criticism or hate.

Why don't you tell us a little bit about Eastern Philosophy, from how you wrote the songs to the production on it?

A: Well, before I sat down and really knew what the tracks were going to be, I knew what I wanted in my head. I knew the vibe I wanted to invoke with it. Before I started doing anything, for months and month I would only listen to the same 10 or 12 albums. Even if someone was like, "Yo, you hear that new Ludacris song?" I was like, "nah, I'm not even on that right now." I was listening to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Hard to Earn, Organized Konfusion, Nas’ Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Midnight Marauders. I wanted to get in that whole mindset and be like I was in that time period. That time is so important to me and so close to my heart that I feel almost cheated that I was too young to release an album then. So I'm trying to make up for it by making an album that I feel could be that time. Evoke that type of feeling. Also, just to do songs to show how I felt back at that time. I really wanted to do an album that reflected that time period. Up to date obviously, but something that was in that same vein.

You've been talking about and working on Eastern Philosophy for a long time. We talked to you a while back and I remember you were in the process of it, and then there were some politics. Did you have to make some changes between then and now?

A: When I talked to you guys last about it, there's not a single song that's the same on there. All those songs have been put out on the bootleg or Where's Your Album? Or just scrapped all together. There are some songs I recorded way back that are just going to be coming out. Like the song Naturally Nasty which will be coming out on the Celph Titled UK album. It was originally going to be for this album but it didn't match the vibe as much and that was important to me. I wanted to make sure it was cohesive. I have some happier shit, but there was some shit that just didn't match. It'd be like putting something whimsical on Liquid Swords.

You and your crew have been doing lots of work with Babygrande Records, where does that relationship come from?

A: It's just all about what they come with. It's nothing to do with a personal relationship. They make the best offer; they want to put the most effort and energy into it. I'm going to go with them as far as the indie thing goes. I'm still signed to Atlantic and Atlantic had to give permission. We had to go through this whole big process. Atlantic even owns the masters. If you look at the copyright information it says "Atlantic Records under exclusive license from Babygrande." Babygrande was willing to get behind it, be excited about it, shoot a video for it and really go crazy with it. They also gave a good offer.

What is the word on your Atlantic album?

A: I don't even know. To be honest, it's up in the air. I'm not even sweating it. My A&R called me recently when I was on tour. He said, "I know it's taking forever for us all to get on the same page, and figure out what exactly we're trying to do. I'm not trying to be the big bad label, so let me make this clear; you are not shelved by any means. However, if you want to go I'll give you a release. I don't want to hold back your career." The problem is there is an insane amount of confusion. I don't have great communication with them. There have been times where I've recorded songs and he's said to me, "Oh my God, this is it. This is the hit." And this dudes an asshole. I've recorded songs and he's said, "I've played it for Craig Kallman, and it's a hit." This is a dude who's very blunt with me. He'll say, "nah that's wack and corny. I'm not feeling that."

Is this why he's an asshole?

A: Yes. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but this dude is brutally honest with me. So after I submit 100's of songs to him and he's finally like, "You've got your hit. You just opened up your budget." I'm ready to pop some bottles, and then nothing comes out of it.

Is that how it typically works? You're signed to Atlantic, but you have to prove yourself and cause them to get off their asses?

A: Yeah. Especially with new artists, but I recently learned even when Twista does an album, Mike will sit there and listen to the songs and Twista has to come with the right songs. They obviously give him more attention and bigger producers are willing to work with him, but it's the same process. Everything has changed a lot. Everyone has this perception that I just go off to a studio, record 16 tracks, put it together in a neat little kit and they say yes or no. I send my A&R every song I do and we figure out what level we're going to go at.

Now the songs they don't like, they still own them?

A: Yeah, they still own them technically. But I have all of the masters. It doesn't mean I own them, but I have them. But it's a long process and it's just confusing and frustrating. It's like, "what do I do? What more can I do? What can you do to hook me up with this person? Why isn't this happening?" It's to the point now that I don't know what's going to happen.

Now, it's not like a city job where you just sit around and just get paid...

A: Hell no.

...so you've got to go out and drop an album like Eastern Philosophy if they're not putting you on to the big show.

A: And I got permission from my A&R to do it because he knows I've got to eat. I've licensed shit before for TV Shows and video games, and that makes some money but you have to be real consistent with that to make a lot of money.

Wasn't it a CSI you licensed that track for?

A: It was a CSI Miami. And the same track was on Midnight Club 3.

How does one of your tracks get licensed like that? Do you have to submit like an audition?

A: I did a couple of things. When I first got signed, my A&R was like, "they're looking for a song for the Dare Devil soundtrack" and I asked what type of song and they go "it's for the first time you see King Pin." So I did a song, and honestly Joel, it was one of the illest songs I've ever done. It was called The King Pin. I wish I had the masters, but I don't even have a copy because I recorded it at my A&R's crib. It was one of the illest songs. The beat kind of had the same sound as Public Service Announcement, like a real ill hardrock acid sample. My hook and the lyrics were fucking bananas. It was mad smart, it was dope. I submitted it, and the dudes were like, "this is incredible. It's perfect. We love it." Then it comes down to crunch time and the music directors and the people were like, "Yeah, this is hot, we want to use it." Then some dude that doesn't know music shit, but one of the business men came along and said, "ehh, we need somebody with a bigger name than this." So they used Neptune’s - Rock Star which had been out for a while already so it was already somewhat played out, but they used it. I was like, mother fucker. It gets worse though. You know the song that was on CSI: Miami? My A&R called me up and was like "Need for Speed II needs some songs for the soundtrack, get to work." My A&R linked me up with this dude Bris who did the beat. I got the beat and Celph came up to Connecticut. I sat there and wrote it, banged it out, we recorded it, then I submitted it. They were like, "yes, we're definitely using this." My A&R called me on my birthday and told me they were going to use it and we just had to talk about money situations. So I'm thinking everything is poppin off. Then about a week and a half later, they pulled the same thing. They were like, "we need somebody who's either a Def Jam artist, or has a bigger name." So that got shelved.

A: Then, a little bit down the road, I was like, "I'll believe it when I see it." Get this, they said it was going to be in one episode and at the last minute they said they had a change and it was going to be used in a later episode. Finally they ended up using it, which was awesome. Then recently, Midnight Club 3 used it in their video game which I didn't even expect to happen.

You mention Celph. I feel like his game is really on the rise. What is the official line-up of the Demigodz right now?

A: Celph and I is literally my best friend. That's like my brother. We talk almost every single day, we're best friends, we've never had beef in all the years we've been friends. We're like Redman and Method Man, like Raekwon and Ghost. Celph and I decided the Demigodz needs to be something more formative, because it was always all over the place. That's the reason the roster continued to change. Some people wouldn't be around all of the time, or we couldn't get in touch with them. We decided to make it a definitive group of people who all work well together and all stay in contact with each other. And that is: Me, Celph, Esoteric, Motive, and Styles of Beyond are the MCs. Then we have the DJs: Chum the Skrilla Guerilla, 7L, and Cheapshot. Then we've got a producer Scoop Deville.

So when we refer to the Demigodz, that's who we're talking about?

A: That's who it is. Rise, Spin 4th, and Open Mic are still affiliates. It's like with the Wu-Tang how there's Sunz of Man, Killarmy and Killah Priest. Rise and Open Mic and Digga, all of them, they’re still cool with us.

What about Louis Logic? I didn't hear his name mentioned.

A: Louis...I don't have anything to do with Louis. He was always more Celph's friend, I never rocked that tight with him. He was cool at first because he was more of a hip-hop MC. Then he started to get a little funny throughout the years.

I was going to say, his first album was really good. I want to say I haven't heard that much from him since then.

A: I liked his style back when he first started doing stuff when he would rap normal. Then he started to get more crazy and animated and I got turned off at that point. Then he started doing kooky shit that just didn't sound like Demigodz shit.

On his first album, parts of it were reminiscent of Eminem when he was starting out - (Yup) - and I feel like Eminem went down that same track. I hear an Eminem song now and I'm like, "what'd you do?" In my mind, it's like he must be laughing behind the scenes that people are still buying it.

A: I don't know what's up with him, but that's not my people. That was Celph's people.

What about the Army of the Pharaohs album? When is it dropping and how much of a role did you play in that?

A: That album is dropping the same day as my album is dropping. I don't like that idea, but they are dropping March 21st. I was supposed to be in the original Army of the Pharaohs back in the day, but I was busy recording my shit and wasn't able to do it at that time. I've been down with Jedi Mind for a long time so it was essential that we did this. I produced a beat and rapped on 3 tracks. I wish I could have done more but I was dead in the middle of recording Eastern Philosophy.

The AOTP album has been highly anticipated, I hope it lives up to the hype.

A: Yeah, it's cool. I heard it, it's cool.

You don't sound blown away by it.

A: Nah. It's cool. I like it, it's a good album. It's what the fans will like. Everybody's lyrics are amazing, and that's what people want.

You may have, in your mind, a list of people you want to work with. You have to get the label motivated...

A: Before you finish that thought, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know if it's going to be with Atlantic, but I know it's going to be on a major label. Whether it's with Atlantic, or it's with someone else, it's going to happen. I don't know that the same process will apply elsewhere.

Your A&R kind of gave you permission to get out of the deal, have you been courted by any other labels?

A: Yeah. I don't want to talk about to. Everybody does that, saying, "I don't want to talk about who." It would really be shooting myself in the foot if I started to blast off, but there are some obvious connections that I have that are interested. There is definitely a good amount of majors that are interested. I have real dope lawyer Theo Sedlmayr, he's Eminem and 50's lawyer who represents Jim Jones and Just Blaze. I'm going to be doing something big.

I'd have to imagine it's like being signed to the NBA, but sitting on the bench. It's like, "give me a starting position."

A: It really is. It's frustrating too because -- everybody says this -- but there's so much wack shit out there. I know from the material that I'm making that I can make some dope shit, but people are afraid to take a chance.

Did Atlantic do anything else to promote the album with Babygrande, or do they just sit back?

A: Yup. The dope thing, well, dope in some senses and wack in other, but it helps me out because it evens out my balance with them. It's like paying off a credit card. I got an up front amount from Babygrande, which is good. Then, the publishing and the royalties are going to go back to paying off my budget with Atlantic, which I love. I'd rather have a zero balance so that when I'm out I don't owe them shit.

Is that budget from all these tracks that you make that they don't use?

A: Yeah. I've spent a good amount. I've gone to LA where we locked down Paramount Studio for about a month. We recorded in there and did a whole bunch of shit. I've spent a good amount of change out of my budget. I want to get that out of the red.

Tell me about your tour with Fort Minor.

A: It was so dope being opened up to a different fan base. It was really incredible.

How receptive is that fan base?

A: At first they're real timid. There are a lot of younger fans that aren't use to the culture, they're Linkin Park fans. We come out there like, "Yay! Throw your fucking hands up!" They get scared a little bit. Towards the end when they hear our lyrics and everything they open up. Ever since Mike Shinoda showed us love, his fans show us tons of live.

As I was watching the Grammy’s the other night, I saw Linkin Park perform and didn't think the guy rapping looked like Mike. Was I mistaken?

A: He use to have long hair, but now he has shorter hair and wears a baseball hat. But yeah, he was there. We were in Georgia and had a couple of days off and he flew out to the Grammy’s and came back the next day. We were all watching him perform from the hotel, watching him perform with Hov and Paul McCartney. That was hot.

AHave you seen the site recently?

A: I did! I saw that you guys updated it, it's all black and it looks dope. The only sites I go to for new shit is you guys and hiphopgame.com.

Anything else you'd like to add?

A: Just that we're really looking to promote Motives album next. We all think that his album has something special. It's going to be a good one.