Author Topic: WTF is an....  (Read 35795 times)

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
WTF is an....
« on: February 07, 2005, 09:02:09 AM »
MPC 3000??
long story short, ive been to england (aussie)and back trying to expand my horizons and experience and i wanna make music.. I asked a friend who is in the business in england about where to start musically and he gave me recommendations about what to buy but i dont know what they are, what they do or where to start.. he recommended an
mpc 3000
mpc 1000
jvc 1080
proteus 2000
pro logic 7 ..
he is a friend but is also a multimillionaire so has no price 2 worry about unlike me !! he hasnt seen my place!! .. so .. thought id come 2 the experts!! HELP!!

p.s. I know NOTHING about equipment.. prior to his email i was looking at M-audio radiums/ozone stuff..
**outback livin down under brokeback paul hogan never in the forum dial up havin wombat killin drivin thru fog muthafucka! **

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jamonproductions.com
Re: WTF is an....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 01:54:41 PM »
Quote from: ETHERSPIN
MPC 3000??
long story short, ive been to england (aussie)and back trying to expand my horizons and experience and i wanna make music.. I asked a friend who is in the business in england about where to start musically and he gave me recommendations about what to buy but i dont know what they are, what they do or where to start.. he recommended an
mpc 3000
mpc 1000
jvc 1080
proteus 2000
pro logic 7 ..
he is a friend but is also a multimillionaire so has no price 2 worry about unlike me !! he hasnt seen my place!! .. so .. thought id come 2 the experts!! HELP!!

p.s. I know NOTHING about equipment.. prior to his email i was looking at M-audio radiums/ozone stuff..

Fukk all that, get a good Mac and I've got your back. :wink:

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
WTF is an....
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 07:28:55 PM »
...  that would be a leap of faith!! should i still just put a couple of hundred on on of those radiums as well ? I will look into it and quite possibly do just that ..better off getting a full sized mac or are their laptops outfitted well too..? its been a long time since ive used one but im a fast learner
**outback livin down under brokeback paul hogan never in the forum dial up havin wombat killin drivin thru fog muthafucka! **

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:51:19 PM »
...  that would be a leap of faith!! should i still just put a couple of hundred on on of those radiums as well ? I will look into it and quite possibly do just that ..better off getting a full sized mac or are their laptops outfitted well too..? its been a long time since ive used one but im a fast learner

Radiums are long gone.  Come up with a budget and I'll give you the guidance.  For the price of the stuff your boy is suggesting (I gather it's Tony) you could buy a few nicely blown out Macs and take a trip to China! :P

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
WTF is an....
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 04:37:26 AM »
yeah spot on it was tony, i'm on www.apple.com.au checking out the models, i had no idea some of them were so affordable, i was under the impression if you went for a mac you paid premium to have something equivalent to a current pc..
im thinking upgrade capacity is a big thing ??so the mini with dvd burner and 80gb hdd is out of the question..
what about the Emac or the Imac G5 ?
i'll PM you details of other stuff Coz

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • LIQUID CARBON: The Orakle's Realm
WTF is an....
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 06:42:39 AM »
emac..no...iMac g5...very doable.. although I prefer a tower.
don't forget that a 1.5 ghz processor on the mac is pretty much the equivalent to 2 gig on PC. So you might even want to give the "lower speed" towers a once over, you might find something in your price range and still have the power.
"I don't do requests"

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
WTF is an....
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 04:14:50 AM »
the info is much appreciated.. im gonna go down to brisbane(nearest capital) when i get a few days off from work and check out the Apple centre down there and look at the maxed out imacs and the lower spec power mac g5s .. will get one with min 80gb hdd, airport , 512 ram,dvd burn.. the imacs had widescreen .. dont know if this is help, hindrance or otherwise??

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 04:41:41 AM »
all sounds good in my world..good luck! Join us on the dark side!muahhhaaahhhaaa!
"I don't do requests"

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
WTF is an....
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 04:43:17 AM »
are you gonna make me kill my twins?

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 04:49:14 AM »
are you gonna make me kill my twins?

Lmao..naaah..Just the first born! :shock:
"I don't do requests"

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »
Quote from: The Orakle
emac..no...iMac g5...very doable.. although I prefer a tower.
don't forget that a 1.5 ghz processor on the mac is pretty much the equivalent to 2 gig on PC. So you might even want to give the "lower speed" towers a once over, you might find something in your price range and still have the power.

You've got to excuse my boy Tee here, of the Mac he is very knowledgable, but he lacks a bit on the PC side.

A 1.5 gig on the Mac is pretty much equivalent to 3 gigs on the PC.  That's on a G4 by the way, G5s are even faster! :wink:  :lol:

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 01:10:27 PM »
You've got to excuse my boy Tee here, of the Mac he is very knowledgable, but he lacks a bit on the PC side.

A 1.5 gig on the Mac is pretty much equivalent to 3 gigs on the PC.  That's on a G4 by the way, G5s are even faster! :wink:  :lol:

HAHAHAAAAA....This is true. When it comes to PC the "Orakle" title does not apply. When it comes to PC I'm more of the Padawan.
"I don't do requests"

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
WTF is an....
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 07:00:07 PM »
you guys also use macs for any image work??

Offline The Orakle

• Half Man Half Amazin'
  • Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »
you guys also use macs for any image work??

Oh hellz yeah, when it comes to music and graphics the Mac is "the machine" as far as I'm concerned. Coz uses both platforms so you might wait till he chimes in on this but I think he'd agree.
"I don't do requests"

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
WTF is an....
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 08:47:04 PM »
Yup, sure do!  Especially now since Mac has gotten cheaper and caught Win XP in stabillity and increased it's lead in processor speed.

The only thing I'm using the PC for nowadays is CD mastering...and browsing when I don't feel like doing the 3 flight hike. :wink: