Author Topic: BACK TO LIFE!!!  (Read 9639 times)

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jamonproductions.com
BACK TO LIFE!!!
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
BACK TO LIFE!!!

Yep, that’s right, Newcleus lives, though it kind of seemed like things were touch and go for a while there.  However, I am now back in the saddle and ready to bring things home.  Look for progress to become more and more evident with new music and new improvements to our online presence.

Let me also extend my sincerest apologies for the malaise that had overtaken us for the past few years.  Life is one hell of a challenge… sometimes no matter how much you may think that you’re up to it, it still has a way of beating you back.

Let me first attempt to bring you all up to speed.  I’m not quite sure how long it’s been since my last update but I know that it has been a very long time.  We have been working on the new album for much too long now, we began in 2005.  It started out originally as a massive remix project, but as the songs and ideas started to take on lives of their own we decided that it would be a new album project.  That is where things began to slow down, because unfortunately you can’t rush creativity.  Simultaneously, Newcleus began to enjoy a resurgence in popularity and traveling and shows began to chew up our time.  Still, things were progressing slowly yet steadily.

Then, in August of 2008 Lady E and I moved from Brooklyn to Pennsylvania.  Our new house had no studio like we had in Brooklyn, but we were quite confident that we would be able to have one built very soon.  Then, the following month came the big crash and the whole world went into recession.  Within a month after that our income had been cut in half and suddenly there were more important and dire things on our minds than the album.  Added to all that was the fact that neither Chilly B’s or my health was in top condition.  Chilly was dealing with Diabetes among other ailments, and my weight was taking a serious toll on me.

As 2008 ended and 2009 developed things got steadily worse.  I developed a mental malaise of sorts.  I don’t know if it was depression but suffice it to say it was not conducive to writing new songs.  I wrote 1 new song… “Programmed 4 L.O.V.E.” in 2009, which is included on the Street Sounds Nu Electro 1 compilation album.  I also started to seriously neglect our website, forum and updates.  For Chilly, things grew even worse as his health deteriorated, to the point that he went on dialysis in June of that year.  We were planning to work together to finish the album, but our conditions and the distance between us worked against us at every turn.  We had only 2 shows that entire year.

By 2010 I was not sleeping at night and not able to concentrate on much more than our economic situation.  Then, on February 23rd, the bottom dropped out.  Chilly B suffered a massive stroke and soon passed on.  Needless to say, finishing the album and my other Newcleus duties fell far from my mind.

I have 2 people who I must acknowledge at this point.

The first is a childhood friend, David Block, who I had become reacquainted with via Facebook.  In March, at the depths of my malaise, I had inadvertently turned to David for financial help.  David is both an accountant and a life coach, and both of his professions proved invaluable to me.  David helped me to get our financial situation in order, but even more importantly, he helped me to get back to the healthy optimistic mindset that had served me for my entire adult life.  My mental malaise, at least the destructive side of it, had ended.

The second, who some of you may know of, was Morgan Khan from Street Sounds in the UK.  In May Morgan cajoled me into doing a new track.  The result was “We Devolve”, which we did together with Donald D of the legendary B-Boys.  It is included on the Street Sounds Nu Electro 3 compilation album.

I was fighting out of my mental malaise, but with Chilly gone I just had no drive to finish the album.  I started contemplating scratching the project altogether, but we were so close that I just couldn’t bring myself to do that either.  I had done a small update of the site for Chilly’s passing but no more since.  In October 2010 we performed our first show without Chilly, but the drive to go on without him just was not there.  What is more, bad habits had now set in.  After 2 years of being outside of my old work routine I was finding it very hard to get it back.  I was just not getting it done.

It has now been a year since that point and things have gotten steadily better.  We have gotten a few more shows... not many, but enough to help rekindle that fire to get things done.  Once again I feel the pull to search out new sounds, beats, bass lines and melodies, and to express our existence in song.  Chilly is gone and we still miss him, but the songs must go on and new ones must be born.  I am happy to report that I am fully out of my mental malaise now and back to my optimistic, natural self.  Now there are only the lingering bad habits... those that have caused me to take weeks to get this very update done... but I am determined to overcome them and at the very least get back to my slow but deliberate, plodding but steady work ethics and habits.  Time to bring this baby to bed!

Moving forward...

First things first.  With Chilly B's passing we no longer feel that the album title "Returned To Earth" is appropriate.  After all, Chilly has now returned to the essence.  We have instead chosen the song that we plan to close the album with for the title... "Dreams In The Distance".  It's a song about the hope and changes that we all know is out there and that we have to make, but we instead stay on our destructive path and they fall further and further away.  Like "Computer Age" was in 1984, it is perfect for the dubious times that we live in now.

The new plan is to finish the album in 3 months... drop dead!  I have often lamented taking pre-orders because I could have given up, but now I am glad for the pressure.  My deadline therefore is now February 15th, 2012.  On that date I will stop all production and prepare for release whatever it is that is finished.  At this point it is in truth already an LP, longer than the "Jam On Revenge" and "Space Is The Place" albums, but I would release it in it's present form as an EP.  If I do end up releasing it as an EP for everyone who pre-ordered it I will bundle it with a Cozmo D & The Jam-On Crew EP that is waiting in the wings to be released.  This WILL be done in February!!!

Look for the regular updates to start again and continue, and for major changes to the website.  Please remember that I am doing all of this without any help, so try and throw me a little slack, but enough is enough, time to get crackalackin'!  Once again, thank you SO MUCH for all of your patience, it's been a long and sometimes painful ride.  Thank you especially to all of you who pre-ordered, and specially especially to those of you who are still holding on in hope and faith, and that is almost all of you!  I promise to come through in the end!  For those of you who just can't do it anymore, please contact me and ask for a refund.  No hard feelings or questions asked.

Thank YOU ALL so much!!!

EZ,
Coz
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:38:19 PM by Cozmo D »

Offline mnieuwhof

• Executive
  • Roadie
    • View Profile
Re: BACK TO LIFE!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
WOW Coz... what can I say?

Offline Stet

• Breaknik
  • X-ecutive
  • Famous by Association
    • View Profile
    • www.breakniks.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:19:47 AM »
That's so beautiful, One in a million.  :-)

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:48:12 AM »
Thanks y'all. :)

Offline Jabo

• Global Moderator
  • Making A Comeback
  • We can do it too, if we wanted to.
    • View Profile
    • Best Entertainment DJ Service
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
 :mrgreen:
I knew you were taking things hard lately. We all were struck with heavy blows in the recent past. (Especially with Chilly B passing.)
 I did have my doubts about the fate of Newcleus, but I know that no matter what Newcleus will always remain beloved. It is awesome news to hear that YOU are doing better now, Coz. We definitely missed you, and I was wondering if you were gonna be ok. I am so glad that you are on the mend.
I am looking forward to many more musical works of art from you and the Jam On Crew. Also looking forward to the new CD. It has been a (very) long time coming and is much anticipated.
 ((I hope you haven't forgotten that I was the FIRST to pre-order the "new" CD!!!   :wiggle: ))

Anyway! Today is truly a day to be thankful. So, take this time to enjoy the company of loved ones and enjoy the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the whole Jam On fam!
-Your friend,
Jerred (Jabo)
Yo Cozmo! Give us a beat man!

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
Hey Jabo, thank you for the kind words man.  I know that you are always behind us!

I didn't think that you celebrated this "holiday" man.  I haven't for at least 25 years or so.  I hope that you enjoyed it and wish you and yours nothing but blessings!

EZ,
Coz

Offline Jabo

• Global Moderator
  • Making A Comeback
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
Any day I get to have a huge feast and enjoy being with my family, is a day I am truly thankful for. Although we celebrate 13 thanksgivings throughout the year, this one is a bonus for me. It may mean something a little different to us, but it still gets celebrated as well. My wife is non-native and we share her families holidays with ours. Gotta keep in harmony. :)

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
I feel you! :)

Offline Chief

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »
I want to pre order dammit......

Offline Bonkman

• X-ecutive
  • Road Manager
  • You said what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
That was around 2 years ago, Chief....grats on keeping up with the times!

Bring the music home, Coz...it's time.
You'll just have to ask for my signature.

Offline Chief

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:17:44 AM »
haha.....i thought this was a new preorder :) is this for the millenium album? :)

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
haha.....i thought this was a new preorder :) is this for the millenium album? :)
No, you senile old goat! :rotf:

Offline tunejammin

• Executive
  • Roadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »
WOW!  Heavy stuff!  Glad to hear you are doing much better.  Really looking forward to the music coming up!

Offline basj

• X-ecutive
  • Roadie
  • It Aint Much if it aint Dutch ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:03 AM »

Today, make us happy. I my have to buy another cheese cake at Junior's to celebrate ;-)
Besides, financial crisis or not, I bought a brand new car and I needs some cool new
Newcleus sounds to fill it with to roam the streets of Holland.

Bas
Tek tek tek tek ... teknology.

Offline Jabo

• Global Moderator
  • Making A Comeback
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
"The new plan is to finish the album in 3 months... drop dead!  I have often lamented taking pre-orders because I could have given up, but now I am glad for the pressure.  My deadline therefore is now February 15th, 2012.  On that date I will stop all production and prepare for release whatever it is that is finished.  At this point it is in truth already an LP, longer than the "Jam On Revenge" and "Space Is The Place" albums, but I would release it in it's present form as an EP.  If I do end up releasing it as an EP for everyone who pre-ordered it I will bundle it with a Cozmo D & The Jam-On Crew EP that is waiting in the wings to be released.  This WILL be done in February!!!"

What is today's date???  :think: