Author Topic: RISEN FROM THE ABYSS!!!  (Read 15258 times)

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jamonproductions.com
RISEN FROM THE ABYSS!!!
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:37:06 AM »
RISEN FROM THE ABYSS!!!

Yes!  At long last, I have escaped!  And now, finally, I will give you all the long awaited update that you have deserved!

First of all, let me give a heartfelt thank you to everyone who emailed or otherwise contacted me and inquired about my health.  Yes, I am still fat and unhealthy, still have Hypertension and high cholesterol, and yes, I still suffer from periodic attacks of Tinnitus, but it is not my health that has stopped my work or kept me away.  As I dive back into my work with a fresh breath of drive and initiative I intend to do my best to address my health issues as well.  I just want to let you all know that your concern is well felt and appreciated.

So… here’s what happened… and what’s happening.

The Great Upheaval

As I’m sure you all remember… considering that it had still been here until I posted this… my last update was at the end of April of last year, and I was planning to ride a new funky direction to a July release date.  Well needless to say those plans bore almost no fruit at all.  Not due to a lack of effort mind you, but to a woeful lack of time and opportunity.

You see, Lady E and I were deep into looking for a house to buy at the time.  We had chosen Pennsylvania, in Northampton County, only about one hour and a half drive from Brooklyn, so it was a not an undoable commute for Lady E to her job.  The prices there were at least one fifth what they were in Brooklyn, and the cost of living was much lower as well.  We had found a college that would be great for Matt (DJ Dogtrane), and had already had him accepted there.  His semester started August 26th, so that meant that we had to find a house, close on it, and be moved in by then.  At the end of April, that did not appear to be too daunting a task to me.  Unfortunately, I had totally underestimated what a severe distraction that house-hunting was.

The next 3 months was an almost constant blur of traveling, viewing, searching, investigating, negotiating, meeting and filing.  We would head out to Pennsylvania when Lady E got home from work on Friday night, get a hotel room for the weekend, see houses all day on Saturday and Sunday, then drive back Sunday night.  It was exhausting.  The only times we weren’t doing that was when we had gigs.  Needless to say, I couldn’t get much work done that way.  The weekdays weren’t much better, as we took much of that time to catch our breaths (I did anyway, Lady E had to work).  Due to this, we only managed to get one track done during that time, Newcleus - “Dreams In The Distance (Falling Away)”.  I never even found the time to announce the track or add it to the Screening Room player.

Finally, in early August, we found the perfect house on the perfect block in the perfect neighborhood.  Then came the negotiating and all the filing (this was the 2nd house we did this for).  Finally, we closed on the 23rd, moved in on the 24th, and Matt started school on the 26th.  We finished moving the following weekend with the studio equipment. 

The one drawback of the new house was that there was no ready-made room to fit the studio in.  There was a nice large finished room in the basement that could be divided into a control room, a vocal booth, a record room and a DJ booth, but that would take construction.  I figured no biggie, by October I would probably have enough money together to get the construction done, and then I could get back to work by November.  There was still a lot to do with the rest of the house anyway, so by then we should be settled in.  Then, on the 26th, the day Matt started school, I got an email from longtime forum member Nvisible informing me that the Jam-On Productions version of “Jam On It” had been massively sampled by The Game on the track “Ya Heard” off of his new album.  MONEY IN THE BANK!!!  Well, no doubt now that as soon as we contacted Universal (they had gotten clearance from Rhino, who did NOT own the rights) there would be enough money to do the studio construction.  So, the studio equipment was left to sit in their boxes in the basement for the meantime, and we set about getting the rest of the house in order.

Then in October, the bottom dropped out…

CRUNCH!

October was going as planned.  We were getting settled in and acclimated to our new digs and surroundings, Lady E was adjusting nicely to her commute, and Matt was doing his college thing.  We were in touch with Universal, who were in the process of verifying our claim of rights ownership.  It was taking longer than expected, but since the album had already been released we were in a position to demand a higher advance and better terms.  We just had to wait.

Then, the credit crunch crunched on us, and overnight we lost 2/3 of our income.  Suddenly, there we were, brand new mortgage, kid in college, loads of new household expenses and just-bought, unpaid for appliances, and only 1/3 the income.  Well, at least Lady E didn’t have to make her commute anymore.  We set to belt tightening and plan adjusting.  Luckily for us, the lower cost of living allowed us to make the adjustment rather painlessly.  However, there was one conclusion that we now could not escape… there would be no money to construct the studio for the foreseeable future.

The Wait

November and most of December were spent doing the music industry dance with Universal.  They were understandably being very careful, as with Rhino they were dealing with another major (Warner) and with Jam-On, well, you don’t get much more “little guy” than us.  My main concern was being patient and careful, the last thing I wanted was to have to find money for lawyers.  Eventually they were satisfied that our claim was legit, and we came to agreeable terms.  Now we just had to wait to be paid.

In the meantime I was starting to go a bit stir.  I hadn’t worked on a note of music since August, and frankly, it was driving me crazy.  Day to day we were doing OK, our sales were up a bit and we had a couple of gigs.  However, it was quickly dawning on me that even when the Universal money came in there would probably not be enough left after debts and necessities to build the studio.  Unless we found a way to increase our income I would have to wait a long time to build.

Finally, in December I couldn’t take it anymore.  I decided to set up the equipment in a corner of the basement and get back to work.  The acoustics would suck, there would be no sound reinforcement or resistance to think of, and no vocal recording area whatsoever, but at least I would be doing music again.  If need be, I would use headphones to mix in and build baffles for vocal recording.  It was right about that time that I received word from Universal that the check would be delayed until after the New Year.

Well, Merry $#!%&* Christmas!

CRASH!

Through the Christmas and New Year holidays I painstakingly arranged and assembled the equipment.  It went a little slower than I’d like, due to my taking the extra time to make sure that it was done right, and the fact that my house was full of partying relatives and friends for the entire time, so I spent much of it drinking.  Finally, New Year’s Day hit and I resolved that I would not return here until I could proudly report that I was up and running!  Over the following week I finished up, then hooked it all up to its nerve center, my dual 1.25 G4 computer.  Started up without a hitch!  One thing left to do, upgrade the operating system.

I ran the upgrade to bring my system up from Tiger (10.4) to Leopard (10.5).  The main reason I was upgrading was to be able to use Time Machine, the automatic back-up utility that is built into leopard.  I have never been diligent at backing-up, and knew that I was just playing with fire.  I was trying to do the responsible thing.  Leopard was rated by Apple to run on my machine, so no problems there.  The upgrade seemed to go smoothly.  Finally, it reached the Leopard start-up screen and… and… the spinning beach ball of death (ALL Mac users know what that is)!  I restarted… same thing.  Did it again… same thing.  Gave it a few hours to resolve… same thing.  Restarted again and let it try to resolve overnight… same thing.  This went on for the next couple of days.

Finally, frustrated and exasperated, I decided to roll back my OS to Tiger.  Only thing is, I was so frustrated that I selected the wrong option when I did so.  I forgot to preserve my user definitions, so when Tiger reinstalled I had a totally blank machine!  ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!  All of my email, browser, applications, GONE!!!  All of my drivers, extensions, settings, GONE!!!  Luckily, Mac saves most of this stuff in a “previous system” folder, but the only option now available to me is to go through that folder and tediously copy and paste what I need bit by bit.  A process that takes HOURS!  Oh, and don’t make a crucial mistake, or you could make your system unstable and have to reinstall the OS all over again.  Why do I know this?  Because I had to do so THREE TIMES!!! 

Eventually, I got the system stable and most of my settings, apps and data recovered.  Everything was fine, except for one crucial thing… my Pro Tools drivers would not work!  Of course, that was the most essential thing in my studio.  No Pro Tools, no sound.  I ran through every driver installer I had, but no luck.  Went to the Digidesign site, but no luck there either.  Totally frustrated now, I walked out of the basement and did not return for a couple of days. 

I decided that I would have to make the sacrifice and upgrade my computer and hardware when Universal finally came through.  After all, I had been using the computer since 2004, and the hardware since the ‘90s!  Then, after a few days I went back to the equipment and found a driver on the Digidesign site that I had missed.  It worked!  I was up and running again!  With joy I started letting people know that I was about to return to update the forum.  But wait, I noticed a few things in the “previous system” folder that I hadn’t dragged over and they looked kind of important.  I copied them and pasted them in.  UNSTABLE AGAIN!!!  With a sigh I just turned and left the basement…

The Rise

Finally, a week ago Monday, the paradigm began to shift, the clouds began to clear, the sun began to shine!  I received word from Universal (and a tracking #) that the check was indeed in the mail!  I waited until the check arrived (just in case the UPS truck was hijacked by bandits) and I had deposited it in the bank (just in case the check burst into flames), then I whipped out the credit card and ordered a brand spanking new top-of-the-line Mac and a MOTU 896mk3 and a MOTU PRE8 to do audio.  I’M BACK BABY!!!

Unfortunately, like I said, I won’t be able to do construction on the studio for a while.  However, I will be back making music and I will find a way to do vocals.  I also plan to get things hopping around here and with the main site again.  Look for changes!

GOING FORWARD!!!

Here are the plans.  I am aiming for Tuesday, March 24th to be our next release date, to coincide with the start of this year’s Winter Music Conference.  I intend to finally release the “Automan” CD single, along with a new CD single of “Jam On It” remixes on that date.  From that point on I intend to make at least one release per month, culminating with the Newcleus “Returned To Earth” album finally this Summer.  These will be full online releases complete with marketing.  Time to grow up!  Of course, CDs of all releases will be available directly from us, and we will do vinyl as well if there is a demand.  The “Returned To Earth” album of course will even be available in stores on CD.

DJ Dogtrane and I will soon be returning to Global Funk Radio with our new show, Jam-On The Groove.  No date or time set as yet, but look for us to return by March.

We also will be setting up Jam-On Recordings to start doing releases from outside of the Jam-On Productions family.  I know a LOT of you guys and others that I have gotten to know over the years have had trouble getting your stuff released.  Many of you have stuff that I really like and believe in, and feel that should be out there.  Well, Jam-On has the kind of distribution now to get your stuff to ALL of the online sellers that count, so if you want to roll with us, let me know!  BTW, I am not interested in signing anybody, these will be license deals.  YOU WILL OWN YOUR MASTERS!

Anyway, I think that I have written enough now.  It has taken me 2 full days to do it.  Rest assured that I AM BACK, and with God’s will we will get this place back to its former shine.  Thanks again all of you who wrote me and inquired here, and thanks ALL of you for hanging in there with us!  HERE’S TO A JAM-ON 2009!!!

Love and blessings to all of you and all of yours!

EZ,
Coz

Offline Bonkman

• X-ecutive
  • Road Manager
  • You said what?
    • View Profile
Re: RISEN FROM THE ABYSS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
Wow, Coz....that's an epic story.

When do we get the signed copies of your book?

Glad to see you're back in action!
You'll just have to ask for my signature.

Offline EtherSpinner

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Ethereal Blend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »
epic indeed - all the best with tying up any loose ends with that rhino bizzy , good luck with making the album awesome (you dont need it!!!) ..
good to know you are back in action...
kick that cholesterol in the butt man ... its easy! dangerous stuff..

Great news Coz!
**outback livin down under brokeback paul hogan never in the forum dial up havin wombat killin drivin thru fog muthafucka! **

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:34:45 AM »
Wow, Coz....that's an epic story.

When do we get the signed copies of your book?

Glad to see you're back in action!
Thanx Scott. :-)

I'm just hoping that this book has a GREAT ending. :D

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:35:23 AM »
epic indeed - all the best with tying up any loose ends with that rhino bizzy , good luck with making the album awesome (you dont need it!!!) ..
good to know you are back in action...
kick that cholesterol in the butt man ... its easy! dangerous stuff..

Great news Coz!
Thanx Tim!

Offline Chief

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »
ok ok...i was going to come up with my snide as remarks as usual, but this time i wont Coz. Im actually going to be nice.. aint that some shit...:)

DO YOUR THANG MAN!!!!!....

Welcome back!!!!!!

Offline Chief

• Global Moderator
  • UNTOUCHABLE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
wow...odd...the first time ive been back here in a while now, and you post new stuff. God works in ways I cannot explain.

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
Nor should we try. :)

Offline DJDetroitButcher

• Executive
  • Road Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:43:07 AM »
WELCOME BACK MAN! I would have emailed you but I don't have that address. I tend to forget this place exists when it hasn't been updated... It's so, so good to hear that you're back up and runnin, doin your thang. Executing Executing Executing Executing Executing Executing Executing
Wow! I remember my jamonproductions.com password!

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
Thanks Tone. :)

Offline mnieuwhof

• Executive
  • Roadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
Yee man!!!
What a story...

Have fun with your new equipment!!!

Get ALL out of life and a big hug to Lady E

Marc

Offline goofyrob

• Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
 Great to hear things are working out.  You are in PA now, if ever down towards Amish Country let me know. 

Ups and downs of life are more fun when on a roller coaster.

Like I heard "some times in life you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield" :wiggle:

Rob

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
Thanks Rob, I plan to make my way out there someday. :)

Offline Cozmo D

• Administrator
  • Jam-On Hall of Fame
  • Big High Muckety-Muck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
Yee man!!!
What a story...

Have fun with your new equipment!!!

Get ALL out of life and a big hug to Lady E